Who We Are:
Fluent Design is a pioneering commercial interior design company that continually sets the bar for the workplace. We employ an integrated and responsive approach to project design that balances the environmental, economic, and social goals of every client. Fluent promotes a work environment that encourages creative problem-solving and the sharing of ideas through an open-office environment and a culture of continuing education. With a portfolio that includes more than 300 projects, Fluent’s success is measured by commitment: to our clients, to our employees, and to our community.
We’re a progressive company with a culture of new ideas. A company that thrives on providing creative design and top-notch service while acknowledging the real-life constraints that face most projects today. We listen to our clients’ project needs, desires, and goals, and respond with a personalized approach to their design. We are a workplace that crackles with fun, movement, and dynamic creativity. We believe in our ability to do any job and do it well. We pay attention. We work together. We extend these beliefs to our products and to our clients.
The Perfect Fit:
A person who is detail-oriented, passionate, and a great communicator. Organized and thorough in everything that you do. You are a team player with an upbeat positive attitude that enjoys variety in your everyday work. You are the MacGyver of making things happen and aren’t afraid to create processes where none exist. Someone who thrives on customer service and isn’t afraid to have fun at work!
Requires basic knowledge of programming and functional analysis, as well as knowledge of space planning principles. Beginning to initiate document set up, with a proactive approach to aspects of a construction document set. Applies design principles in development and preparation of presentation drawings. Performs a variety of tasks and relies on instruction to perform most functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision of an upper-level designer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Active within local industry through industry-sponsored and Fluent Design-sponsored events. All other duties as assigned by fellow designers and leadership.
- Performs field verification / as-builts of existing conditions to prepare existing drawings.
- Assists in filling out required permitting documents, taking drawings to jurisdictions, and procuring permits.
- Assists fellow designers during construction administration, including assisting in review of shop drawings / submittals pertaining to design issues.
- Interprets redlines and update drawings as required.
- Assists fellow designers in client meetings and presentations, as required.
- Assists with coordination needed for presentations, existing inventories / as-builts, programming and documentation of interior concepts.
- Supports the goals and objectives established by clients and fellow designers.
- Assists in producing marketing materials and presentations as well as other graphic presentations.
- Provides computer-aided drafting support on space plans, design documents, interior elevations / details and construction documents.
- Provides design and detailing of basic millwork (ability to draft showing constructability and design intent).
- Provides material selection and research.
- Coordinates with Vendors and material / furniture sales representatives.
- Maintains organization of Materials Library and keep up with filing new materials received from representatives.
- All other duties as assigned by Project Designers and leadership.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- Communicates well with coworkers, clients, vendors, consultants, etc., and convey ideas verbally and graphically.
- Receives feedback and constructive criticism in a manner which demonstrates understanding that is provided for personal growth, development and overall betterment of self and team.
- Willingness to report to a supervisor, take direction, and provide open communication.
- Accountability for own actions and responsibilities.
- Mindful of interests of self, coworkers, company, partners, project and clients in all that is done at Fluent Design.
- Works closely with fellow designers to meet determined clients’ needs & wants, translating them into functional, creative, amazing designs.
- Strong attention to detail and dedicated to quality work.
- Strong spelling & grammar skills and understanding of proper email etiquette.
- Willingness to support project goals and Fluent Design goals.
- Effective Time Management skills.
- Good graphic presentation skills.
- Highly organized, including but not limited to work environment, physical project materials, email correspondence and electronic files stored on the network.
- Ability to develop conceptual sketches and schematic diagrams / drawings.
- Basic knowledge of code / agency requirements.
- Basic knowledge of interior architectural concepts and systems.
- Basic knowledge of interior finish materials, furniture systems and applications.
- Represents self and Fluent Design proportional to the company’s culture and professional expectations.
- Recognizes when others go out of their way to help and when others need an extra hand.
- Ability to track time to projects.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Interior Design and / or Interior Architecture Program.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, keep your focus, and meet deadlines, all while working in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to meet physical requirements of position – carrying bags of finishes to meetings, performing field verification / as-builts which may require climbing under desks and moving light furniture to get accurate measurements. Also, being able to safely navigate active construction sites.
- Willingness to get dirty when on jobsites – dust from drywall work to mud walking existing buildings to perform as-builts.
- Must be detail-oriented and set high standards for accuracy.
- Must have demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Revit, Sketch Up, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Desire to develop skills and abilities for personal / professional growth.
- Desire to work with, collaborate with, share with, learn from and perhaps teach fellow designers.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of all employee and company information.
Commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience.
How to Apply
For consideration, please email a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Be sure to put the title of the position to which you are applying + your name in the Subject: line!
Fluent Design is proud to be an AA/EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Fluent Design is WBE + ESB certified.