Jones Architecture is seeking an ambitious and creative interior designer to join our team in a newly created position! The ideal candidate will be excited to join our growing team and become the cornerstone of our interior design focus. They will work with firm leadership to develop our interior design standards, build and enhance client relationships, and collaborate closely with other team members to deliver exceptional design work. This is a rare and unique opportunity to craft a role from the ground up — we are seeking someone with the drive and experience required to make it their own and are eager to work together to determine the exact trajectory of the role and its responsibilities.
- Professional degree in Interior Design or Architecture from an accredited program
- NCIDQ certification
- Fluent in Revit and advanced familiarity with SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite, Enscape, and Bluebeam
- Passion for design and involvement in interior design organizations (IIDA, ASID, IDC)
- Experience working in multiple areas of interior design on various project types, and the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external team members throughout the entire design and construction process
- Working knowledge of all applicable health, safety, and accessibility codes
- Experience with RFP submissions
- Experience with site observation and documentation
- Effective and clear communication and time management skills, including the ability to support numerous design teams on overlapping timelines
- Excellent technical and documentation skills
- Direct experience dealing with clients, consultants, and regulatory agencies
- Multi-family, mixed-use, and hospitality experience preferred
- LEED, WELL, and LFA credentials preferred
Jones Architecture is a design-oriented firm based in Portland, OR. We specialize in mixed-use urban infill, residential, historic rehabilitation, mass timber, office buildings, and hospitality projects.
Jones puts collaboration first and foremost. Our small, tight-knit team encourages thoughtful communication, and values the creative input and expertise of each member. Mentorship, education, and providing opportunities for growth are key to how we operate. We build upon our individual strengths and lift each other up when in need of support. We embrace a culture of collective responsibility, and we share in both successes and challenges.
Our underlying approach to collaborative design lends itself to a fast-paced, exciting working environment. We grow and evolve with our projects, with each member of our team working closely with our clients and consultants through every project phase.
We produce award winning, contextually driven work that is worthy of its people and place. We find beauty in simplicity and have an affinity for buildings that are one with their site and context. Each member of our team strives to make a positive contribution the built environment through our designs, and we align ourselves with like-minded clientele.
Visit www.jonesarc.com to learn more about the firm and our work.
Jones offers a competitive compensation package including paid time off, professional development stipends, 401(k) & profit-sharing opportunities, and generous healthcare options. We believe in a healthy work-life balance and offer flexibility to fit our ever-changing work environment. Jones Architecture is an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest, your current resume, and concise work samples or a link to your online portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emerick Architects is a Portland-based architecture firm, that has been serving the community for over twenty years through timeless design and enduring quality. Our studio is made up of motivated, team-oriented individuals who are passionate about collaboration and craftsmanship. Recognized as one of Oregon’s Healthiest Employers, Emerick offers long term professional investment set within a culture of wellness, as the firm strives to create great places, improve the community, and have fun along the way!
Emerick Architects is currently seeking an Interior Design Project Manager with a background in both residential and commercial project work.
Applicants for this position will strongly demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited Interior Design or Architecture program
- 5-8 years of professional experience in an interior design or architecture firm
- Exposure to a variety of project types, including adaptive reuse, single-family and multi-family housing and hospitality design
- Effective communication skills to manage teams and interact with clients
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent design, detailing and presentation capabilities
- Experience with lighting design, fixture selections and finish specifications
- Knowledge of building and safety codes.
- Experience with all phases of project development, from concept studies, through construction documents and construction administration
- Capacity to develop project designs and specifications while adhering to budget and schedule constraints
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite & SketchUp
Emerick Architects offers competitive salaries, superlative health insurance and 401K benefits. We support a hybrid work approach that blends in-office time with remote-work days. Our office provides secure bike storage, shower facilities, a quiet room and proximity to mass transit. As a studio with a small, but diverse group, we value creativity, hard work, and a sense of humor.
Please email resume, work samples, and a brief cover letter to Margot Verch: email@example.com
January 17th, 2023
Clare Goddard, IIDA, NCIDQ
President | IIDA Oregon Chapter
Senior Associate Designer | Ankrom Moisan
Updated IIDA Oregon Chapter event dates released!
This past December, the IIDA Oregon Chapter board met in person for an all day retreat to collaborate, reflect and look to the upcoming year. We had a productive and inspiring day that ultimately led the board to make some changes to our calendar of events for the remainder of the board year.
As a non-profit, one of our goals as a chapter is to provide our members with quality programming. With that in mind along with the uncertain economic times and inflation we are all dealing with, the biggest change our members will see is that the Design Crawl is no longer on the calendar for 2023. Don’t worry though! It is not going away, but will instead be an every other year event alternating with the NEXT Breakfast Speaker Series. This change allows our board the time, sponsorship focus, and energy these types of events take to produce each year. While we know change is hard, as a board we are excited to be able to provide you, our members, the high-caliber programming and events you look forward to.
While that was the biggest change, we also had some date shifts to take note of as well. The much anticipated NEXT Breakfast has moved to March 2nd to accommodate speaker schedules – we are looking forward to being in-person for this signature event! Elevate, our student symposium, will be held March 10-11 to allow for more opportunities to participate for students. Lastly, our next Forum has shifted to May and our spring Social has moved to June.
Thank you IIDA Oregon Chapter members for your support and understanding! We look forward to seeing you at all our upcoming events!
FFA is seeking a talented, highly motivated, full-time Interior Designer with a Bachelor of Interior Architecture Professional Degree or similar 4-year degree, and 6+ years of experience. Within that time, the ideal candidate will have been the interior designer on a minimum of 5 completed, large-scale, new construction commercial projects.
FFA has a deep commitment to building an equitable and inclusive architecture, engineering, and construction industry. Our practice believes that a diversity of backgrounds and ideas leads to the most creative solutions. All staff members are expected to be highly collaborative and respectful while adhering to the firm’s Community Agreements. Ideal candidates will have undergone some diversity, equity, and inclusion training. New staff members will be asked to participate in training if they have not done so already.
FFA is committed to the responsible use of resources and understands that the building industry has an important role in mitigating climate change. Our practice is committed to reducing energy and carbon use through practical sustainable strategies. The ideal candidate will share that mission and have experience working on highly sustainable projects.
Candidates for the Interior Designer position must have experience in programming, conceptual design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration services for both private commercial and public work. Experience and interest in leading and managing these efforts is desired.
Candidates must also understand how interior components are constructed and how materials come together in a space. The ability to critically think through design opportunities at this level as well as detail those connections in a drawing set is essential, as is a background, desire, and ability to work in an open, collaborative, and creative environment.
Compensation is negotiable based on qualifications and project experience.
Requirements and Duties:
- Bachelor of Interior Architecture professional degree from an accredited institution or equivalent architectural-based design degree or work experience
- REVIT modeling experience for commercial projects and development of construction documents in REVIT
- Knowledge and experience with all aspects of commercial interior design including tenant improvement design, space planning, programming, concept development, color and material selection, specifications development, FF&E, vendor/supplier, and contractor management
- Experience with project site observation and documentation for accurate base drawing development
- Ability to work closely with multiple client types and personalities to cultivate client relationships by providing consistently excellent service
- Outstanding communication and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects of large and small scale with multiple and overlapping deadlines
- Interest in and ability to manage interiors lead projects and provide direction to design staff on tasks and deliverables
- Interest in and ability to lead interiors scope and interior environment development on architecture lead projects and provide direction to design staff on tasks and deliverables
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as an active team member on architect-lead projects and within the interiors team
- Ability to travel to local and regional client sites (personal transportation not required)
- Proficiency in creating presentation materials within the Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to take ownership of projects and tasks and consistently deliver design excellence
- Ability to consistently provide high-quality design and have a desire to raise the bar on each project
- A high level of integrity, work ethic, professionalism, enthusiasm for design process and delivery, and the desire to invest in a career at FFA
Additional Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency in Sketchup modeling
- Proficiency in Enscape rendering
- Proficiency in AutoCAD
- NCIDQ Certification
- LEED Accreditation
- WELL Accreditation
- Knowledge of and experience working with BOMA Standards
- Experience in designing Higher Education, Affordable Housing, and Library projects
Following a 90-day initiation period, our competitive benefits program includes:
- Medical Insurance
- Voluntary Vision and Dental
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Transportation Stipend
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Volunteer Time
- Paid Holidays
- Hybrid Work Schedule
Office Culture Engagement Opportunities:
- Design Charettes
- CEU Lunch & Learns
- Community service events
- Staff field trips and celebrations
- Internal committee engagement groups such as the Sustainability Committee, Office Safety Committee, Community Engagement Committee, and the Equity Committee
FFA is an equal opportunity employer providing a professional, creative, and collaborative teamwork environment. Our office is located in downtown Portland’s central business district, directly on the transit mall. We invite qualified candidates to email a resume and references to: Anna Cramer, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Name: Paige Tisdale
Company/Position/Years?: Business Developer for Dennis’ 7 Dees for 3 years
IIDA member since: 2021
Why are you a member of IIDA?
I am a member of IIDA because it allows me to connect with the design industry in a more casual and intimate way. I have learned so much about the industry just from attending IIDA events and it has been invaluable in working with designers on projects.
What is your favorite IIDA event?
I think my favorite event has to be the Design Excellence Awards Dinner in October.
Tell us a bit about your creative process:
I love to see a space to know what kind of texture and form the plants need to be to compliment the existing design. Light is also super important in picking the right species for a spot. Based on those two factors I’ve got plants in mind and suggest them to the client to see which they prefer. I also love to get the overall ‘vibes’ from the client as well. Do they like uniform and clean or would they like to see a lush green jungle or something in between?? It has been so fun to show others the possibilities with indoor plants.
What is your favorite space designed in Portland?
I think my Favorite space right now has to be the Galleria. It was a fun plant project to work on, not to mention all of the gold and vintage details are just stunning.
What is your personal mantra?
My Personal mantra is “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”
On a typical Saturday, where can we find you?
For sure Bruch to kick off the weekend, and then finding a community event or festival that’s going on! I love enjoying our city.
Shaw Contract is a global design leader in commercial flooring for some of the world’s most creative and innovative environments. Our vast, sustainable product offerings can be found in diverse markets such as workplace, healthcare, hospitality, education, and multi-family dwellings. Shaw supports the spaces in which we work, learn, live, play and heal.
Specific responsibilities include daily sales calls on existing customers. Must present products to architects, designers, end users and other users. New end use business development skills are preferred. Additionally, he or she must continually prospect for viable new accounts while developing a key awareness of what is happening within Portland, OR.
- Characteristics to include honesty, integrity, hard work, enthusiasm, and motivation.
- Work with architects, designers, flooring contractors, end users, contractors, etc. to select appropriate products for their projects that fit within their design criteria, budget, and time frame.
- Travel daily throughout assigned area to call on existing customers and prospect new customers to solicit business.
- Manage project from inception to completion including identifying opportunity, product selection, specification, order placement, order tracking, delivery coordination, installation oversight, punch walk/ claim coordination (if necessary), and communication of maintenance program.
- Must be motivated and comfortable working and supporting a closely knit team environment.
- Must be able and competent to work with and manage customer base thru CRM (Customer Relationship Management) tool such as Salesforce.com
- Follow up on a variety of leads from sources such as Dodge, CoStar, networking groups
- Build relationships with existing and new customers by entertaining such as lunches, dinners, or special events.
- Contract Specialist must implement the selling process in his/her area; they must have the ability to make good judgment decisions. A full understanding of the product line is essential. Furthermore, an understanding of the application that each product serves is critical. The ability to interface/communicate with a diverse group of customers in a friendly and respectable manner is a must. The ideal candidate will possess a flexible personality and be able to communicate clearly to other persons, both orally and in written form. Contract Specialist must give presentations to architects, designers, and end-users to educate them on the flooring industry and how Shaw Contract Group can benefit them on their projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or High School Diploma/GED and 5 years previous industry sales experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Candidate already living within or familiar with Portland, OR is strongly preferred.
- Commercial flooring experience preferred.
- Build Trusting Relationships
- Influence Others
- Execute Action Plan
- Build Customer Satisfaction
- Initiate Action
- Adapt and Change
To apply, click here!
Anna Reiderman-Hickey, IIDA, NCIDQ, LEED AP ID+C
Elkus Manfredi Architects | Boston, Massachusetts
Anna Reiderman-Hickey is a Senior Designer at Elkus Manfredi Architects with a passion for interior architecture that elevates the human spirit. With more than 15 years of experience in the design of multi-family residential and commercial interiors across the United States, Israel, and the European Union, Anna has developed a deep appreciation for how the built environment affects the way people experience a space.
Since joining Elkus Manfredi, Anna has worked on a variety of workplace and life sciences projects. She enjoys designing spaces that create a sense of community in the commercial world.
Anna’s current projects include a life sciences laboratory in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and Phase III of the 401 Park redevelopment in Boston with Samuels & Associates. She recently completed design of community spaces for a development in Cambridge with The Davis Companies; a new lab building in Boston’s South End; and the redesigned offices for Plymouth Rock Assurance Company, located in Boston’s former Hotel Essex.
Anna received her Bachelor of Design in Interior Architecture from the Holon Institute of Technology in Tel Aviv.
Mark Harbick, AIA, IIDA, NCARB, LEED AP
Design Principal, Corporate Practice Lead
FCA | New York, New York
With an impressive portfolio of award-winning work, Mark brings a vibrant depth of perspective to his design. Throughout his career he has been a driving force for creativity, social, and environmental responsibility in design. It is his belief that through design we have the ability and responsibility to create spaces that respond to, and elevate, the human experience. In 2006 he was named Contract magazine’s Designer of the Year thanks to his exceptional innovative work. He is an adept problem-solver with a great sense of creativity and curiosity in people, process, and materiality. It is this boundless curiosity that pushes him to dig ever deeper in understanding how organizations, and the people in them, work.
Eileen Jones, FIIDA, SEDG, LEED AP
Principal, Branded Environments Global Practice Leader
Perkins&Will | Chicago, Illinois
Seeking inspiration in the most remote places, Eileen does extensive trekking and hiking all over the world. She enjoys exploring the influence that natural systems can have on design, and the stories they might evoke.
How does this relate to brand? Creating a sense of place where people can have an experience that resonates and is relevant to them is very important to Eileen. The built world provides a sincere opportunity to engage and connect people. Through the arrangement of the environment and the movement from one space to another, Eileen’s purpose is to create places where people have an experience that is personal, meaningful and relevant to them – places where values, culture and vision come to life, and connect us all.
Eileen’s ambition comes full circle. In addition to designing world-class branded environments, she serves on various University boards, keen on doing her part to teach and connect with future generations of design professionals. She believes in the importance of learning from each other, and in the intersection of wisdom and new ideas. As the world continues to evolve, so must we.